Painting minis #1: Getting back into the swing of things

If you’ve been following me on Twitter, you know that my recent D&D obsession has spun off an obsession with painting plastic miniatures. I always assumed such a hobby would be far too frustrating for me, but so far, at least, I’ve found it to be incredibly relaxing. It’s taken the place of building Lego sets as my new “zen” thing—which is fortunate, since plastic miniatures and paint both take up less space and cost considerably less than Lego does.

I haven’t been painting much over the past couple weeks, unfortunately, because my mental health hasn’t been great (when you’re depressed, even doing your “zen” thing can be too much effort, especially if it involves sitting up at a desk, preparing paints, etc.). I managed to get a little bit done today, however—really, just sort of dipping my toe back in a bit, to get myself comfortable with the paints and brushes and minis again—and I thought I’d share.

First up is this skeleton archer, who came with the “learn to paint” kit I’ve been, y’know, learning to paint with. It’s actually an excellent kit, with really good instructions, and I recommend it if you’d like to check out this hobby for yourself. In any event, I think I’m finally done with this one. It’s not perfect, but I could go on fiddling with it forever, and then I’d never move on (or learn to get better).

Apologies for the quality of the pictures; I don’t have a proper macro lens, and also it’s been a long time since I’ve photographed anything.

Not bad for a beginner, though! All credit to the helpful guide that came with the kit, honestly.

I also got a pack of skeletal swordsmen, to further practice the techniques learned on the archer, before I moved onto the second mini in the kit (an orc). I’m not in love with the sculpt of these minis, honestly; the shield makes it difficult to paint the ribs, and the arm is detached from the body. They’ll do for practice, though. Here they are with a base coat on the skeleton parts:

Next up for these ones is to finish the basecoat (swords, shields, and ground), and then to do a wash. Hopefully I’ll get to those this week.

I’m going to try and continue to post mini updates here. Partially because it’s less irritating than posting a million pictures on Twitter, and partially to keep a more easily accessible record of my progress. Also for those lovely folks who contributed to my Kickstarter Kickstarter (don’t ask), this will serve as a test platform for my hopefully coming-soon YouTube series chronicling my painting adventures.

If you have any questions, advice, or suggestions for minis I should paint, let me know in the comments!

Oh, and if anyone feels like buying me the “Layer Up!” learn to paint kit, do feel free.